The Discoverers is a non-fiction historical work by Daniel Boorstin published in 1983 and is the first in the Knowledge Trilogy that also includes The Creators and The Seekers. The book, subtitled A History of Man's Search to Know His World and Himself, is the history of human discovery. Discovery in all its many forms are present - exploration, scientific, medical, mathematical and the more theoretical ones such as time, evolution, plate tectonics and relativity. He praises the inventive, human mind and its eternal quest to discover the universe and our place in it.

In "A Personal Note to the Reader" Boorstin writes, "My hero is Man, the Discoverer. The world we now view from the literate West...had to be opened by countless Columbuses. In the deep recesses of the past, they remain anonymous." The structure is topical and chronological, beginning in the prehistoric era in Babylon and Egypt

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a very interesting read. The Discoverers is a big book, it is 700 pages of knowledge. I will update as I read. It opens up by looking at the concept of time. Time is unique in the fact that there has never been a universal constant in how it is measured and documented. Time is a man made creation that has the potential to faults in how it is perceived, and measured. Time from the understanding that I gained from the book has been experienced by people differently all through “history”.  I believe “time” maybe a control or barrier to man’s understanding of his reality. Picture man in standing in space, he then decides he wants to build something to protect him from the dangers of the open space. He builds four walls and with a roof. Then has a barrier that protects him from the space outside the walls. With the help of windows he has the ability to see outside, without the dangers of being outside. So what if we live in all “time” but we choose to live in this moment by believing in the concepts of “time” and using a watch to take a peak at a time.

Here are few things I have picked up from The Discovers

• There was a time when the Chinese thought of themselves as being in the center of the universe. And I quote the words of a young Jesuit Priest Matteo Ricci “ Because of their ignorance of the size of the Earth and the exaggerated opinion of themselves, the Chinese are of the opinion that only China are among the nations that are deserving of admiration. Relative to the grandeur of Empire, of public administration and reputation for learning , they look upon all other people not only as barbarous but as unreasoning animals.

• Chinese officials were horrified by the bleeding figure being crucified, which they feared as a instrument of black magic.

• It appears the Clock was the mother of all machines

I found this very interesting as well. "Repeating imperial edicts enforced state security for calendrical science , astronomy, astrology. In A.D. 840, for example, when the empire had recently been disturbed by the appearance of several comets, the Emperor ordered all observers in the imperial observatory to keep their business secret. “‘If we hear of any intercourse between the astronomical officials or their subordinates and officials of other government departments or miscellaneous common people, it will be regarded as a violation of security regulations which should be strictly adhered to. From now onwards, therefore, astronomical official are on no account to mix with civil servants and common people in general’”

• The section after time comes space. I am at the part where they speak of the power of the mountain. I found the belief in the " Mt Meru".  Mt Meru is believed to be a central mountain of the universe and vertical axis of the egg shaped cosmos, was surrounded by seven concentric mountain rings which revolved the Sun, the Moon, and the Planets. Between the seventh and the outer eighth ring were the continents of Earth.
  • On Mt. Meru, according to the sacred Hindu scriptures "there are rivers of sweet water running in it, and beautiful golden houses inhabited by the spiritual beings.
  • The later Buddhist tradition held "that Meru lies between four worlds in the four cardinal directions"

Im about to end this day with my nose in this masterpiece....good night and Power Up

RSS

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

Kid In$an3 posted a video

Kneel Down

Provided to YouTube by EMPIRE Distribution Kneel Down · Z-Ro Kneel Down ℗ 2017 1 Deep Entertainment / EMPIRE Released on: 2017-11-07 Auto-generated by YouTube.
Oct 4
Maranda Aritous is now a member of Eye C U Online
Oct 1
Keith Suge is now a member of Eye C U Online
Aug 28

Teacher
General posted a video

Four Star General Agrees With President Trump On Building A Space Force

Four Star General Agrees With President Trump On Building A Space Force General Jim Mattis Now Department Of Defense Head Confirms he will petition congress ...
Aug 28
Kid In$an3 is now a member of Eye C U Online
Aug 26

Teacher
General posted a status
""My dreams and nightmares have the same people in them....#Fabolous #TheChangeIsHere #EyeOnThePrize #TimeForYouToHitTheSideline"
Aug 4

Teacher
General posted a discussion

Pledge Of Alligeance

Pledge Of AllegianceWhen we pledge allegiance to something, is our allegiance to an idea or the…See More
Jul 4

Teacher
General gave a gift to CherokeeAponi
Apr 12

Teacher
General posted a status
"Please forgive me for my absence #EyeCU. I've been in the lab cooking up fire...#Alchemist."
Apr 12

Teacher
General posted a status
"The work is done....Now its time to go back to work...#SexAintFreeTour #5StatesIn5Days #KnowledgeIsPower #TWTBH"
Apr 12

Teacher
General liked General's discussion Guns and God
Feb 25

Teacher
General posted a discussion

Guns and God

Guns and GodWhat causes the neighbor loving Christian to turn to a tool efficient in killing? When…See More
Feb 25

© 2018   Created by The Missus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service