CHICAGO (AP) – Encyclopaedia Britannica Inc. said Tuesday that it will stop publishing print editions of its flagship encyclopedia for the first time since the sets were originally published more than 200 years ago.

The book-form of Encyclopaedia Britannica has been in print since it was first published in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1768. It will stop being available when the current stock runs out, the company said. The Chicago-based company will continue to offer digital versions of the encyclopedia.

Officials said the end of the printed, 32-volume set has been foreseen for some time.

“This has nothing to do with Wikipedia or Google,” Encyclopaedia Britannica Inc. President Jorge Cauz said. “This has to do with the fact that now Britannica sells its digital products to a large number of people.”

The top year for the printed encyclopedia was 1990, when 120,000 sets were sold, Cauz said. That number fell to 40,000 just six years later in 1996, he said. The company started exploring digital publishing the 1970s. The first CD-ROM version was published in 1989 and a version went online in 1994.

The final hardcover encyclopedia set is available for sale at Britannica’s website for $1,395.

“The sales of printed encyclopedias have been negligible for several years,” Cauz said. “We knew this was going to come.”

The company plans to mark the end of the print version by making the contents of its website available free for one week starting Tuesday.

Online versions of the encyclopedia now serve more than 100 million people around the world, the company said, and are available on mobile devices. The encyclopedia has become increasingly social as well, Cauz said, because users can send comments to editors.

“A printed encyclopedia is obsolete the minute that you print it,” Cauz said. “Whereas our online edition is updated continuously.”

Britannica has thousands of experts contributors from around the world, including Nobel laureates and world leaders such as former President Bill Clinton and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. It also has a staff of more than 100 editors.

“To me the most important message is that the printed edition was not what made Britannica,” Cauz said. “The most important thing about Britannica is that Britannica is relevant and vibrant because it brings scholarly knowledge to an editorial process to as many knowledge seekers as possible.”

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Community already has access to an online encylopedia; and it free. "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn"  just backspace the word acorn and then type in anything you woant to know about, like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/watermellon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Wikipedia is not a reliable source as anyone is able to edit the information

I was an E. Britannica salesman for two years.. got out just before the end in '92. Actually made a living selling those books in the Smoky Mountains where a set cost on average about four months of rent for most folks here... I have the family set.. published in the 50s and well worn from the four of us kids.. even used their services for a term paper on a nine point circle.. doubt you'll find that one in Wiki...I was responsible for the show sales.. doc and lawyer conventions, mall displays etc. In my time, I've read the entire set while waiting for the next interested lead to show up... Best sales trainers in the world if you ask me.. but in this day and age, I have a really hard time finding something I believe in enough to continue in a sales career. Now I just grow food. Quit chasing the dollar, and I've found they come to me...I get what I need whether I know it or not doesn't matter.

RSS

Birthdays

Latest Activity

Teacher
General posted a photo

Open Mic Night

Soulě Cafe on Wensday for Open Mic night. Where members come to socialize.
Apr 10
The Missus posted photos
Apr 8
The Missus posted a status
"New website should be up this weekend, so excited!!!"
Apr 5
"Today is going to be a great day!!"
Apr 4
"Put yourself out there and be the best you you can be."
Apr 3
"Paying it forward"
Apr 3
Luke Dollaz posted a status
"one day at a time, feeling better than yesterday ...that was the goal yesterday. #HopeThatDidntGoOverYourHead"
Apr 2
"When you have a million things to do, finding a starting point can be overwhelming."
Apr 2

Teacher
General posted a status
"Is the goal of those who are civilized, liberty or power?"
Apr 2
The Missus liked General's discussion Aprils Fool Lesson 1
Apr 1

Teacher
General posted a status
"It's funny how we always have to ignore how their words make us feel. Its never meant the way it sounded. Maybe I'm to stupid for english"
Apr 1

Teacher
General liked General's discussion Aprils Fool Lesson 1
Apr 1

© 2019   Created by The Missus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service